Afternoon links: Republicans vs. sustainable transportation
ARC tunnel confirmed dead: As expected, Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) has officially killed the ARC tunnel. Paul Krugman calls it "arguably the worst policy decision ever made by the government of New Jersey
— and that's saying a lot." (Transportation Nation via Second Ave. Sagas)
VA to cut bike/ped funds: The McDonnell administration is proposing to cut $4 million in bike and pedestrian funding. Tell them not to. (Virginia Bicycling Federation)
Why is transit a partisan issue?: Christie, McDonnell ... many Republican governors are oppsing high-speed rail spending in their states ... What's going on? Is it that transit is a public sector industry? If that's the case, then why the hatred for bicycling? Or do conservatives simply oppose everything liberals advocate? Do libertarians just support sprawl because liberals hate it? (TAPPED, Rob Pitingolo)
It pays to live car-free: Hoboken, NJ is offering rewards to citizens who live car-free.
Metro map to change: WMATA is gearing up to redesign the iconic Metro map for rail to Dulles and some likely station name changes. Interestingly, there has been no official decision to call the Dulles line the Silver Line. (WTOP, BeyondDC, Gavin, Steven Yates)
DC "poorly designed"?: So says Jon Stewart, complaining about DC's quadrant system. At least we can figure out what cross street any address goes to without looking it up, unlike your city, Jon. (TBD)
White House gets solar panels: The White House will be adding solar panels to power its hot water heaters. Jimmy Carter, too, put solar panels on the White House, let's hope Obama's panels don't suffer the same fate as Carter's. (The White House)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Car-free housing could come to historic Blagden Alley
- Accounting for population, the world map looks totally different
- Bus stops around DC are getting real-time arrival displays
- BREAKING: Hogan gives the Purple and Baltimore Red lines a momentary reprieve
- Mercedes imagines passengers in driverless cars never interacting with the world outside
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 36
- Ask GGW: Is there any reason not to have a sidewalk?