Afternoon links: Republicans vs. sustainable transportation
ARC tunnel confirmed dead: As expected, Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) has officially killed the ARC tunnel. Paul Krugman calls it "arguably the worst policy decision ever made by the government of New Jersey
— and that's saying a lot." (Transportation Nation via Second Ave. Sagas)
VA to cut bike/ped funds: The McDonnell administration is proposing to cut $4 million in bike and pedestrian funding. Tell them not to. (Virginia Bicycling Federation)
Why is transit a partisan issue?: Christie, McDonnell ... many Republican governors are oppsing high-speed rail spending in their states ... What's going on? Is it that transit is a public sector industry? If that's the case, then why the hatred for bicycling? Or do conservatives simply oppose everything liberals advocate? Do libertarians just support sprawl because liberals hate it? (TAPPED, Rob Pitingolo)
It pays to live car-free: Hoboken, NJ is offering rewards to citizens who live car-free.
Metro map to change: WMATA is gearing up to redesign the iconic Metro map for rail to Dulles and some likely station name changes. Interestingly, there has been no official decision to call the Dulles line the Silver Line. (WTOP, BeyondDC, Gavin, Steven Yates)
DC "poorly designed"?: So says Jon Stewart, complaining about DC's quadrant system. At least we can figure out what cross street any address goes to without looking it up, unlike your city, Jon. (TBD)
White House gets solar panels: The White House will be adding solar panels to power its hot water heaters. Jimmy Carter, too, put solar panels on the White House, let's hope Obama's panels don't suffer the same fate as Carter's. (The White House)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Topic of the week: Banning cycling on sidewalks
- A new bill would ban cycling or Segway riding on DC sidewalks next to bike lanes
- No, DC is not abandoning plans for most streetcar lines
- The 11th Street Bridge Park gets a brilliant design. Will it succeed?
- What would you call Loudoun's Metro stations?
- David Catania on Metro, economic development, streetcars, affordable housing, bike lanes, building heights, and more
- After more crashes, DDOT pledges to remove Arkansas Avenue's rush hour lane
Sat Oct 25
10:00 am Le Tour d’Alexandria Library
3:00 pm CSG tour: College Park
Mon Oct 27
5:30 pm Georgetown MUP speaker series
Tue Oct 28