Accent lighting can transform the Mall
During the filming of Transformers 3, the production company placed lights under each elm tree in a section along the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool. This was a rare opportunity to see how the park would look at night with accent lighting on the trees.
Should this be considered as a permanent design? It was just a few years ago when the Park Service first added any lights at all to the paths north and south of the reflecting pool. The lamps were called temporary, and erected in a rush after a series of muggings.
The temporary lighting added by the production crew is similar to the sort of up-lighting landscape designers add to the grounds of elegant properties. Would it enhance or distract from the Lincoln Memorial? More photos below.
- Shepherd Park neighbors tell car2go users to stay out
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 15
- A sunken gas station sculpture sends the wrong message about the Anacostia River
- See the view from a Silver Line train with this video
- Should adding more housing be illegal even when neighbors support it?
- America's Main Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, is anything but
- "Let's use this space!" say mysterious signs around Silver Spring's unfinished transit center