Accent lighting can transform the Mall
During the filming of Transformers 3, the production company placed lights under each elm tree in a section along the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool. This was a rare opportunity to see how the park would look at night with accent lighting on the trees.
Should this be considered as a permanent design? It was just a few years ago when the Park Service first added any lights at all to the paths north and south of the reflecting pool. The lamps were called temporary, and erected in a rush after a series of muggings.
The temporary lighting added by the production crew is similar to the sort of up-lighting landscape designers add to the grounds of elegant properties. Would it enhance or distract from the Lincoln Memorial? More photos below.
- No bike racks? Just park it in the car lane
- How did Silver Spring get its boundaries? And how would you define them?
- Reassign students before improving school quality, not the other way around
- This federal building is missing a corner. Here's why
- Why build protected bike lanes, in one happy quote
- The biggest bikeshare station in each US city
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 20