Bike-o-Meter gives snapshot of bikesharing worldwide
A new app called Bike-o-Meter provides fascinating real-time data on bikesharing systems from around the world.
If you haven't already seen the interactive, animated map that shows station activity for Capital Bikeshare stations, be sure to check it out. Bike-o-Meter uses the same data, but presents it differently.
It is not able to differentiate between bikes that are actually being ridden and those that may be in transit for relocation or taken out for servicing. However, it uses the maximum number of bikes in the system within the last 24 hours, rather than the advertised total number of bikes owned by the service, as the denominator in the calculation.
Here's a bigger screenshot showing 2.8% of Capital Bikeshare's bikes in use at 1:04 pm on Wednesday, October 27.
Barcelona's usage rate at 7:00 pm was 22%. There were more than 4500 bikes available in Barcelona at that time, meaning almost 1000 bikes in use.
- Car-free housing could come to historic Blagden Alley
- The neighborhood where everybody "jaywalks"
- All the buildings and races of DC, Arlington & Alexandria on one map
- Bills in the Virginia General Assembly would hurt and help transit and cyclists
- We need Metro, but it drives us crazy, too
- What's the best way to protect a bikeway? How about a bikeshare station?
- Koch-funded groups: Cut all federal funding for walking, biking, transit