Breakfast links: skyrocketing gas price edition
Even Californians can do it: Transit villages like one in Hayward, CA (on BART) are becoming popular and making converts out of people who would never have imagined living without a car. SF Chronicle via Richard Layman.
Drop out already, Hillary: Hillary Clinton is buying into McCain's bad ideas by calling for a gas tax holiday which would not solve the problem and just emphasizes the framing that our solution to energy shortages is to make gas cheaper. Obama, to his credit, is standing firm in calling it the bad idea it is.
Google did it first: Companies from Schering-Plough to Microsoft are rolling out Wi-Fi-enabled commuter buses, kids are putting off learning to drive and transit ridership is at the highest levels since the interstate highways were built. Via Freakonomics.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- Can Loudoun grow while protecting its rural areas?
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch
- Silver Spring mall could get massive facelift, new name
- WMATA launches "Short Trip" rail pass on SmarTrip