DC, Arlington to add 36 Capital Bikeshare stations
Gabe Klein is giving us all a gift just before he leaves: DDOT just announced they plan to add 20 more Capital Bikeshare stations in 2011, and Arlington has funding for 16 which will allow expanding the system to the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.
They will identify locations in the spring and start installing them "as early as May." DDOT's press release also says that their bicycle counts found that "rush hour bicycle trips increased by 82% between 2007 and 2010 at 20 locations throughout the District."
And the 15th Street bike lane is now finally completed. I biked downtown last night using the 15th Street lane on a Capital Bikeshare bike, and saw road crews installing some of the last pylons between K and M, where drivers were still parking in the newly-painted lane. Cycle tracks on L and M Streets, NW are next in line.
- Consumers say they like trains. Why don't economists care?
- Alexandria has identified locations for its next 16 bikeshare stations
- To bike without worrying about nearby cars, I'm happy on the MBT
- Transit to Wolf Trap will still run through West Falls Church
- There's history to behold on some of DC's manhole covers
- Walkability by Metro line, graphed
- Smarter growth will expand Prince George's tax base