Walmart shows conceptual renderings for Ward 7 store
Following Walmart's announcement that they will build four stores in the District of Columbia, few details were available about the Capitol View location, until recently.
Walmart's Keith Morris presented at a forum held by Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander on December 18. While most of the community concerns centered on living wage jobs and contracting with local businesses, there was little discussion of the renderings Walmart provided.
My initial thought was this would look great on my alma mater's campus more than near the Capitol Heights Metro. It may not look like a typical suburban Wal-mart, but neither does anything indicate that this is an urban area.
The property, located at 58th St and East Capitol St NE, is surrounded by townhomes and a senior housing. Between the existing landscape and the development potential at the Capitol Heights Metro located steps from the proposed site, I expected more of a town center look and feel.
The first community-led meeting will be tonight, Wednesday December 29, 2010, 6:30 to 8:00 pm at Maya Angelou Charter School (Evans Campus) at 5600 East Capitol St, NE. Assuming cellphone reception, I will live tweet from @Dizzyluv25.
- 15th Street cycletrack gets s*** on ... literally
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 25
- If Georgetown had a Metro station, it would be one of the system's busiest
- The region needs to hear the call to action on climate change
- How to sculpt a skyline: Arlington planners rethink Rosslyn
- Metro's Richard Sarles announces retirement
- More proof gas taxes don't pay for roads