5 top issues for Richard Sarles
The Washington Post has an op-ed from me in their Local Opinions section this morning. It lists some important issues which need Richard Sarles' attention, now that he's become WMATA's longer-term CEO instead of interim General Manager.
Dear Richard Sarles,Those issues are customer service, Metrorail capacity, bus priority corridors, a long-term funding plan, and Metro's internal culture. Read the whole piece on the Post Web site.
Congratulations on being appointed chief executive officer of Metro.
You've already made a lot of progress as an interim leader. You've started creating a culture of safety and fixing unsafe conditions. You've stabilized a rudderless organization. You've published concrete performance metrics and commissioned assessments of problem areas, like escalators.
Now that you're going to be staying for a while, there are some big long-term problems that need your attention.
Did you enjoy this article? Greater Greater Washington is running a reader drive to raise funds so we can keep editing and publishing great articles every day. Please help us be sustainable by making a monthly, yearly, or one-time contribution today!
- DC added record housing in 2015. That's slowing down price increases.
- Nobody cleared the Mount Vernon Trail after Snowzilla. Future storms might be different.
- Baltimore's problem is sprawl, not a bad economy
- Use this map to share your ideas for better east-west travel across DC
- If students were cars, schools would have opened sooner
- DC is testing a way to curb stormwater pollution
- There's a "Washington" neighborhood in Milan, Italy