5 top issues for Richard Sarles
The Washington Post has an op-ed from me in their Local Opinions section this morning. It lists some important issues which need Richard Sarles' attention, now that he's become WMATA's longer-term CEO instead of interim General Manager.
Dear Richard Sarles,Those issues are customer service, Metrorail capacity, bus priority corridors, a long-term funding plan, and Metro's internal culture. Read the whole piece on the Post Web site.
Congratulations on being appointed chief executive officer of Metro.
You've already made a lot of progress as an interim leader. You've started creating a culture of safety and fixing unsafe conditions. You've stabilized a rudderless organization. You've published concrete performance metrics and commissioned assessments of problem areas, like escalators.
Now that you're going to be staying for a while, there are some big long-term problems that need your attention.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 61
- A senseless skirmish in Toronto is a welcome reminder to share street space
- Help us rebrand and relaunch our website with a short survey
- Lousiana Avenue could get a protected bikeway
- Prince George's County could move its government closer to more residents
- What we hope to do on housing
- Denver's beautiful Union Station mixes old and new