Is your bus farebox working?
We know that broken Metrobus fareboxes cost WMATA significant revenue. But how big is the problem? If you ride the bus, please help by reporting whether your bus farebox is working on your next few trips.
Unfortunately, hard data on the rate of fareboxes being broken isn't easily available even to Metro. Knowing the scope of this problem could help with the tough budget WMATA and the local jurisdictions face this year.
You can help gauge the farebox rate by bookmarking this link on a data-enabled mobile device or type in bit.ly/farebox. When you get on a bus, just visit the page and fill in whether the farebox works or not.
If you do participate, please report both working and nonworking fareboxes. It won't help at all to overestimate the broken rate. The purpose of this isn't to collect a lot of complaints, but to get as accurate an estimate as possible.
Local jurisdictions are likely to push back at WMATA's request for $72.5 million in added jurisdictional contributions, which could put bus and rail headways, late-night service, the Yellow Line to Fort Totten, and more on the chopping block. If recovering some bus revenue could fill some of the budget hole, it'll make it a lot easier to pass another budget without service cuts.
Did you enjoy this article? Greater Greater Washington is running a reader drive to raise funds so we can keep editing and publishing great articles every day. Please help us be sustainable by making a monthly, yearly, or one-time contribution today!
- More than 20% of people bicycle to work in some DC neighborhoods
- DC added record housing in 2015. That's slowing down price increases.
- Walkers were left out in the cold after the blizzard
- Nobody cleared the Mount Vernon Trail after Snowzilla. Future storms might be different.
- If students were cars, schools would have opened sooner
- Use this map to share your ideas for better east-west travel across DC
- How the navy, baseball, and government planners made Capitol Riverfront one of DC's hottest neighborhoods