Weekend links: Development starting to roll
Vacant building and gas station no more: The long-vacant building at the corner of 7th and H has a new owner and plans for a mixed-use development (DCmud) ... The gas station by the Key Bridge in Georgetown will become new condos after 2012. (WBJ)
Montgomery gets big projects, transit-oriented and not: A developer wants to build a "town square" on what's now a large parking lot in Wheaton; the big office-park area in North Bethesda is getting even more development that's a little more mixed-use. (Gazette via BeyondDC)
Leesburg is form-based: Leesburg has adopted a new form-based zoning code that will encourage expanding the historic downtown with a similar development form that's more walkable than what current zoning allows by right. (Leesburg Today via BeyondDC)
Arlington is the healthiest: A map compares the health of residents in each Congressional district in America. Virginia's 8th, which contains Arlington and Alexandria, is the healthiest in the nation; Maryland's 8th, encompassing western Montgomery, is almost as high. (via ArlNow, MW)
Car sharing gone from Wilson Building: The DC government has a motor pool for employees to share vehicles rather than needing their own, but it was recently banished from the Wilson Building. Signs of Mayor Gray's priorities? No, turns out it was the Council's request. Was that Kwame Brown's doing? (Loose Lips)
A better place to slug: Downtown DC's slug line pick-up spot will move around the corner to New York Avenue, while PRTC buses will use the old slugging area. (Slug-Lines)
Bill Nye, the high-speed rail guy: Bill Nye, "The Science Guy," says the United States "should be embarrassed" that it can't get its act together to build high-speed rail like virtually every other industrialized nation. (Andrew)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- "Park-Its" now protect the Pennsylvania Avenue bikeway
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."