MWAA picks tunnel station
Dulles' Metro station will be underground, despite the extra cost.
In a somewhat surprising move, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority board voted today to build an underground station for the Silver Line, WTOP reports. The station will be next to the terminal, instead of above ground next to the parking garage, as MWAA staff were recommending.
While the garage is not far, members reacted to concern from Metro that ridership and long-term revenue would be lower as a result. This will cost $250-300 million more, and some state and local officials in Virginia are already criticizing the decision.
- Bikeshare is a gateway to private biking, not competition
- Short-term Washingtonians deserve a voice, too
- Judge denies injunction against closing schools
- Long-term closures: A solution to single-tracking?
- Public land deals have both benefits and pitfalls
- DC Council makes major policy changes overnight
- PG planners propose bold new smart growth future