Posts about Lithuania
The mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania got so sick of luxury cars parking in the bicycle lanes that he shot a photo-op driving over a Mercedes in a Soviet armored personnel carrier.
(The original is in Lithuanian.)
The mayor, Arturas Zuokas, told the Irish Times, "I wanted to send a message... I want to point out that if you have a car and more money it doesn't mean that you can park it everywhere. Recently there's been an increase in this type of parking violations, and it shows a lack of respect for others."
It's a staged PSA and they aren't really running over people's cars with tanks, but how many US mayors would really say "if you have a car and more money, it doesn't mean that you can park it everywhere?" Based on the rhetoric of many parking policy debates, a number of DC Councilmembers seem to actually think just the opposite.
And while many people who ride bicycles have likely fantasized about being able to do just this, it says something about the political culture of Vilnius versus American cities that a political figure would actually consider it to be a positive, rather than negative, to make such a statement.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- Can Loudoun grow while protecting its rural areas?
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch
- Silver Spring mall could get massive facelift, new name
- WMATA launches "Short Trip" rail pass on SmarTrip