Posts about Salt Lake City
Darkness at the end of the tunnel: Tom Toles looks again at the irony of cutting Metro amid record ridership. Dr. Gridlock's readers debate budget cuts and float conspiracy theories that Metro's already cut service. Via Unsuck DC Metro.
Crowdsourcing in commuting: A Falls Church resident started MyCasualCarpool to help people create their own informal park-and-ride lots; Avego is trying to to create a market to fill empty seats in private cars on the daily commute.
Low parking enforcement? Deputize your citizens: Salt Lake City allows trained citizens to write parking tickets. The Salt Lake Tribune describes how a member of the "Mobile Neighborhood Watch" is allowed to take a photo and write a ticket for violations. The photo and ticket are sent to the local police for processing. By Michael Perkins.
Two wheels good, four wheels baaaaad? Bicycling to the Inauguration from Bethesda might have been the quickest way, though not the least sweaty; a rendering of a Wheaton apartment complex shows a Humvee driving around.
Huge parking garages worse: NYC's Mayor Bloomberg, who gets it on congestion pricing and complete streets but not at all on land use, wants to build a huge parking garage for the Bronx Botanic Garden. Streetsblog suggests making the pedestrian access and bus drop-off areas more inviting instead.
Not just strip malls anymore: The Triangle worries about City Vista's new corporate owners, who say they want to attract local retail like Busboys and Poets but otherwise only run "unambitious" strip malls in the suburbs.
- Barack Obama rode his bike for fun. Streetsblog LA writes, "it's refreshing to see a nominee on two wheels who is neither A) biking in the woods, nor B) straddling an $8000 Serotta while clad in spandex." (AP)
- A growing coalition is advocating for replacing New Haven's Route 34 freeway with a boulevard. (Mobilizing the Region)
- Salt Lake City plans to significantly cut its parking requirements. They're not getting rid of them, but it's a start; some people are still complaining, of course. (SLC Tribune via Parking Today)
- Tulsa built an arena but decided it needed no new parking. (Of course, that's because Tulsa already has gobs and gobs of it, but still.) (Parking Today)
- Young kids try to assault me while biking
- Metro bag searches aren't always optional
- Focus transportation on downtown or neighborhoods?
- Endless zoning update delay hurts homeowners
- Redeveloping McMillan is the only way to save it
- DDOT agrees to repave 15th Street cycle track
- Vienna Metro town center won't have a town center