Breakfast links: Dig yourself a hole
DC Water is spending big: DC Water is spending $2.6 billion on tunnels to keep stormwater out of basements and the Anacostia River. When completed, the tunnels will be 12.8 miles long. (Post)
Bonds' platform: "I'm black": One of Anita Bonds' primary issues is that she looks like about half of residents and different from the other half. (Post)
Benning is better: DDOT's study of extending the streetcar to Ward 7 concluded that a terminus Benning Road would draw significantly more riders than at Minnesota Avenue. It would also cost more, but likely be worth it. (City Paper)
MPD not releasing marijuana data: MPD's data problems are continuing. The crime map came back online last week after a long hiatus but they can't pull data on 2012 or 2013 marijuana arrests. (DCist)
Landmark Mall redevelopment far off: The owner of the Landmark Mall in Alexandria would like to build a mixed use development, but Sears and Macy's would have to sign off on that and they aren't interested. (Post)
How smart is Street Smart?: The annual "Street Smart" road safety education campaign kicked off yesterday with ads of "tired" faces with tire tracks on them (ha). But would it be more effective to give people information they don't know? (TheWashCycle)
Count traffic for $200: Folks are trying to create a $200 traffic counter that anyone could buy, temporarily place to count cars or bikes, and upload the info to an open database. They're running a Kickstarter to fund the project. (A4B&W)
And..: Head Roc wrote a song about Marion Barry, who liked it so much he tweeted it 12 times. ... Car sharing is becoming more popular nationwide. (NPR) ... Is the 30-year fixed mortgage a bad thing? (Bloomberg)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures