Turn parking into parks for Park(ing) Day
Today is Park(ing) Day, and all across the US city-dwellers are claiming car parking spaces and temporarily converting them to parks for people.
Instead of using all our street space to store cars, why not use some of it to make our cities nicer places to live? On Park(ing) Day, groups find an on-street parking space, pay the meter to claim it legally, and instead of parking a car, they park seats, tables, plants, or whatever.
Groups are sponsoring parklets all over the DC region today. I visited two near my Arlington office alone.
Cross-posted at BeyondDC.
- No bike racks? Just park it in the car lane
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 21
- Could traffic changes produce a new village square?
- This federal building is missing a corner. Here's why
- The biggest bikeshare station in each US city
- Why build protected bike lanes, in one happy quote
- Some see the DCPS-charter relationship breaking down, but charter leaders disagree