Turn parking into parks for Park(ing) Day
Today is Park(ing) Day, and all across the US city-dwellers are claiming car parking spaces and temporarily converting them to parks for people.
Instead of using all our street space to store cars, why not use some of it to make our cities nicer places to live? On Park(ing) Day, groups find an on-street parking space, pay the meter to claim it legally, and instead of parking a car, they park seats, tables, plants, or whatever.
Groups are sponsoring parklets all over the DC region today. I visited two near my Arlington office alone.
Cross-posted at BeyondDC.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 61
- Metro's inefficient info displays worsen crowding
- Help us rebrand and relaunch our website with a short survey
- Prince George's County could move its government closer to more residents
- What we hope to do on housing
- This map shows which parts of the DC area are really "urban" and "suburban"
- Big news! We're growing and doing more on housing